The ASTMA in conjunction with the Australian Golf Industry Council conducted research into how the current drought and its effective restrictions have impacted Australian Golf Courses. Results of the Survey indicated that the industry is under severe strain from the drought, threatening the economic growth of the sport and jobs of the 23,000 people directly employed in the industry.
The central purpose of the Water Management Initiative is an online Water Management Plan template for turf managers, that not only assesses their current practices but offers up the “water saving options” in the form of trade products and services for the manager to become aware of the products and their effectiveness in saving water turf applications.
The portal also offers advice on:
• New technology that becomes available
• How to apply for grants,
• Contacts to water consultants/services,
• Reports of successful water management plans and the resultant changes made
• Updated Water restriction for the turf industry for each state
• Results on research into drought tolerant turf species, and
• How to prepare for change to alternative water sources such as sewer mining, storm water harvesting.
• Action planning and cost recovery budgeting for water saving
More information to follow on re-launch of the Water Management Initiative in late 2018